Monday, July 21, 2014

One Mom Weighs In

I'm not entirely sure why, but I feel compelled to write about weight...specifically body image and health as a mother.  (Men, this may be TMI.  Ladies, I hope it's empowering.)

I'm sure you've heard the "Know Your Numbers" campaign from the American Heart Association.  I just had my numbers checked:

Total Cholesterol - 116           (Desired under 200)
HDL (Good) Cholesterol - 53 (Normal: 40-59)
LDL (Bad) Cholesterol - 54    (Desired under 100)
Triglycerides - 46                    (Normal under 150)
BMI - 24.2                             (Calculator if interested)

Now, for some important "mom numbers" as I like to call them:

Pregnancies: 5
Pregnancies carried to term: 2
Pregnancies lost in first trimester: 2
Ectopic pregnancy: 1
Abdominal surgeries: 2 (c-section and laparoscopic removal of fallopian tube after ruptured ectopic pregnancy)
Weight range in adulthood: 125-223 lbs

I am proud of the numbers in the first section above.  They show I am in a healthy range and that exercise and conscious eating have their benefits.  But, I feel like the numbers in the second section above tell a lot more about who I am.

I am a mother.  I am nearly 33 years old.  I will not weigh what I did at 18 (125lbs).  My body has grown human beings, stretched (with marks, all over, to prove it), delivered, nursed, shrunk, and it still jiggles to prove it.  Do I resign myself to these facts and let myself go?  No, because I have a lot more mothering left to do and I need to be healthy to do it.

This is not to say that there are moms who can still rock a bikini.  I am simply not one of them.  But, I can take pride in the efforts I make to be healthy, to be strong, and to keep up with my children, nonetheless.

I am Jen, mother, wife, employee, family member, and friend and I weigh 150lbs.  I embrace my soft middle, my smile lines (aka wrinkles), and my scars because they tell my story of motherhood.  I couldn't possibly have the same body I had in high school, because 14 years later, there is so much more to me.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow....such an inspiration Jen you really hit it on the head about the numbers in both example and about which really defines you. A lot of young mom's may feel inspired by your positive position on your body after babies! Bravo jen... you are beautiful both inside and out...."soft middle" and all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement Jackie. I've really been rethinking health, balance, and reality this past year:)

      Delete
  2. Love this post Jen. There is SO much to you! To me, you look healthy and strong and beautiful, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete