Sunday, November 9, 2014

Big Week for the Beckmanns

This is a big week for the Beckmann family!  

Monday, November 10

My parents will be married for 35 years.

Tuesday, November 11

My mom will work her final day at Mayo after 38+ years of service.  

Mom's Retirement Receptoin

Both of these milestones are near to my heart as a daughter.  

My parent's anniversary because of their devotion and commitment to each other and our family for 35 years.  

My mom's retirement for many reasons.  First of all, what an incredible milestone to reach before she even turns 60!  Second, for her years of dedication to her full time job, which was really her second job.  For 33 of her 38 years, she was mother first and always gave us her all.  I'm sure there were days she would have rather stayed home and focused on one job, but she remained focused on all that her work outside the home provided for our family as well.  Lastly, I admire the work she did.  She was a medical secretary for the first 30ish years and was no doubt vital in the work of the surgeons she supported and the patient's lives she touched daily.  Her final 10ish years, she's been a patient appointment coordinator.  As I'm approaching my 10 year anniversary at Mayo, I have even more respect for the roles of support staff in the medical profession.  The work of the physicians and others in patient care are absolutely critical, but so too are those behind the scenes who keep operations running daily.  

This is a big week for my parents and family, but it's only the beginning of a new journey of retirement for both of my parents and many more anniversaries together, Lord willing.  

I saw this video online and thought it was very timely and captures my sentiments for my mom. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great parents are such a blessing :) Congrats to their marriage and on your Mom's retirement! I swear our parents are too young to be retiring! You're so right about all the support staff roles. Our secretaries are so valuable, I don't know what I'd do with them. Appt coordinators are sometime the 1st voice from Mayo Clinic that scared sick people hear from, so their roles are so vital as well!

    ReplyDelete