Thursday, December 2, 2010

Little Boy Dreams

Luke and I had a fun conversation in the car today that I wanted to remember...

We were talking about how we're going to Oxbow Zoo on Saturday for an event they have with Christmas lights, etc...I can't remember what it's called, something like Holidazzle. Anyway, started asking questions about people who work at Oxbow.

L: The people at Oxbow know how to take care of the animals.
J: Yes, they do.

L: How do they know how to take care of the animals.
J: Well, after you are done going to school, you start college. When you're in college, you get to decide what classes you want to take and what you want to learn about. Some people go to school to learn all about animals. (We've previously explained college to him so he gets the idea.)

L: So the people that work at Oxbow learned about the animals?
J: Yes, some people go to school to be animal doctors who help sick animals. They are called veterinarians.

Things became rather quiet for a short time, then...

J: What do you think you want to learn when you go to college so you can work somewhere someday?
L: I want to learn about animals and work at Oxbow. I'll have a leash and I'll go find the sick animals in the woods and bring them back, because I'll know the way out of the woods.

J: You mean you'll bring them back to the zoo with their leash.
L: Yep, like bears and wolves and foxes. You can come see me at the zoo.

J: Maybe someday you'll have kids too and they came come see you at the zoo.
L: Yeah, then they can go look for the animals and I won't worry where they go.

J: Don't you think you should take care of your kids once you're the daddy?
L: Yeah, but I'll always know where they are, no matter where they go.

J: Well, Luke, I think you have a pretty good plan for your life: go to college to learn about animals, get a job at Oxbow, and maybe have kids.

Life sure is simple from the eyes of a four year old. If only it were that simple and none of the details got in the way...like how much college costs and how long it can take, getting a job doing exactly what you want at the exact place you want to work, and always knowing where your kids are:)

I love listening to Luke dream about the future. I ask him sometimes if he's quiet in the car what he's thinking about. Recently he has answered, I'm just dreaming:) (I'm thinking he heard someone say day dreaming before, but cut out the day.) So, I'm always glad when he chats about it with me rather than just dreaming to himself.

Oh how I love days like these!

1 comment:

  1. The car and bedtime were the times the boys talked to me. I treasure some of those moments to this day. It's nice that you are blogging it, too. So much is forgotten. I do remember a lot of things they said to this day, though. I hope he never quits dreaming. My dad once said when he came up with one of his extravagant ideas, "When a man quits dreaming, he's dead." Pretty profound and Luke's figured it out already. Annie always calls it "playin' with my imagination." Oh, to have time to figure out what the clouds look like again . . . .

    ReplyDelete