Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Glimpse of Luke's Heart

I have so much fun watching Luke and seeing his personality come through at each age in a slightly different way. One thing I particularly enjoy about his current age is his sensitive and nurturing nature and I've gotten to witness it a few times in the past week.

Last weekend, we celebrated his birthday with his friends. (Check out pics from February on Kodak Gallery.) I was surprised last month when we were planning the party that he wanted to invite even the "babies" from daycare. (Babies to him are actually a 1-1.5 years, I guess I see them as toddlers:)) As we were shopping for his birthday getting supplies and goodies for his friends, he was always thinking of the babies that were coming. He's say things like "I can help Zoe with this since she's little". The day of his party, we hid dragon eggs in the basement for the kids to find and he was very intentional about hiding some eggs in easy to reach places so the babies would find them. When the egg hunt began, he took one of the little girl's hands and led her in downstairs to find an egg. I just love his thoughtful, sensitive heart:)

We've also had Audrey with us a couple afternoons in the past week and Luke just loves having her over. (Audrey, nearly two, is a friend's daughter we watch once in a while when her mom and dad's work schedules overlap.) He'll talk about things throughout the day before she comes like what toys we can't have out when Audrey comes because they aren't safe for babies, etc. Last week, we discovered Audrey's love for the "Zacchaeus" song, so today Luke wanted to turn it on for her all by himself. He is also very in tune to Audrey's needs and desires. Today we were all reading together and she wanted her bunny which she had left in Luke's room. I pointed and directed her, but she was confused. Luke asked me to stop reading the book, hopped off the couch, and said he was going to show Audrey where her bunny was. Such a helper:) I also got a kick out of his reaction when he heard Audrey crying when she woke up today. We could hear her in the monitor and Luke immediately asked if he could go check on her. I told him to give her a minute because I thought she might fall back to sleep, but he couldn't stop watching the monitor every time he heard a peep from her:)

A sweet video of Luke and Audrey together:


I consider myself blessed to have both a son and husband with such sensitive and loving spirits.

4 comments:

  1. Yes you do have a sweet and sensitive son, Audrey often mentions "ookey" (Luke) when we refer to her friends. I'm so happy my granddaughter gets to hang out with you all. I always feel happy knowing she's with you all.
    p.s. I couldnt get the video to work :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just got the video to work, must have been a glitch on my end. Very cute. Her first boy/girl dance (other than her daddy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...that was so sweet :) I love it. In case you're wondering, Audrey was repeating the word "sons, sons, sons" over and over again, because on her cd, the song after Zacchaeus is "Father Abraham had many Sons" (so she calls it 'sons' for short) :) I love the dancing!

    And yes, your son is so sweet, looking out for the 'babies' :) So thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww! glad Brianna clarified what she was saying cause I'm sitting here thinking, "aww, she is saying, "dance, dance, dance..."

    how cool that you're seeing Luke's kind heart more and more!

    ReplyDelete