Friday, January 10, 2014

A New Year

I’ve hemmed and hawed (spelling?) about posting about the new year…alas here I go.

My Thoughts on the New Year…

I love the fresh start of a new year.  A clean slate feels wonderful and it gives me an optimistic outlook for the year ahead as we make plans and attempt to be intentional with our lives as a family.   

I’m not good with goals.  I’ve heard all of the recommendations: Set realistic, S.M.A.R.T. goals.  But, I still dislike the process of setting them and am very rarely successful in achieving them.  With that said, I’m not much for resolutions either.  Even though I am a type A, “beaver” personality (#12 at this link) I prefer to be internally motivated by my mood to accomplish tasks at home than to be on a schedule that says I should be doing something by a certain date.  In some ways deadlines motivate me, but if it’s one I set myself I know I can break itJ

Recently, I was reminded of the unrealistic expectations we put on the new year.   As a Christian, I believe that the Holy Spirit is at work always and it is no more powerful on January 1 than it was on December 31.  In other words, if I want/need to make a change in my life, I have the power of God behind me always.

With all of this said:  I like the fresh start, I don’t like goals, and God is not limited by our time parameters; here are my thoughts for 2014:

  • I’ve been very conscious the past few months to work against my nature of being a black-and-white/all-or-nothing thinker.   I’ve been striving for a balance in many areas which has impacted my thoughts for the new year.  This year I want to continue to strive for balance.  Practically speaking this means I am not starting on a strict diet and exercise routine that I know is not sustainable.   Instead, I am focusing on eating within reason and exercising regularly.  I am 32 years old.  I will not weigh what I did in high school.  I carried my two babies each for nine months and my body shows it.  I will never have the same body shape that I had pre-pregnancies.  This not meant to be negative self-talk, it is realistic self-talk.  
  • Even though I don’t like goals, I like to plan:)  So, we’re making plans with our finances, vacation time, time with friends and family, birthday celebrations, etc.  There is much to look forward to!  
  • I do not know what the year ahead holds, but I am grateful for where I am, who I am today, and those I share my life with.

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. ~Chinese Proverb

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very realistic way to go into the new year :) I've been thinking alot about the new year as well. I NEVER do resolutions, this year I'm focusing on Relationships and how I spend my time. I do a lot of journaling so it's fun to look back so I can be accountable to myself. I think it's good for us to think about how we want to live our life throughout the upcoming year! It doesn't have to be rigid and unbendable, Change is good and life is unpredictable, I like the way you think Jen, wishing you a blessed and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete