Friday, December 18, 2015

Early December Highlights

We've had a full and fun schedule to kick off December!

Saturday, December 5
  • We met Bob (our builder...I know, "Bob the Builder"';)) for a walk through of the kitchen layout.  It's always fun to check out the details in person and to be able to ask Bob any questions we come up with.  Something has been clicking in my brain recently about the reality of actually living in this house we're building (I know, I can be slow sometimes).  I'm starting to day dream about what it will look like, how we'll use it daily, etc.  It's probably becoming more real to me as we pick out more finishes and the house layout comes to life in the process.
  • Luke had two basketball games, one of which was tied in a buzzer beater to go to overtime and ultimately won in overtime.  It was a very exciting game and the boys played their little hearts out:)
  • My parents, the kids, and I attempted to check out the Oxbow Zoodazzle.  But, when we saw the line of cars waiting to get in, we bailed and decided to check out the lights in downtown Rochester.  It was a beautiful night to walk around with the kids and we even ran into my mom's friend and former coworker with her husband, daughter and grandkids. 
Taking in the lights downtown


Sunday, December 6

I headed to visit my dear friend, Liz, for lunch and some shopping. We explored the adorable Afton, MN with lunch at Sail Away Cafe and shopping in some cute shops: Eye Candy REfind and 3:17 Vintage Furniture and Home Decor.  I'm so glad Liz suggested it!  I'll definitely have fun doing some shopping in both places once we're moved into our new place.

Monday, December 7
  • I'm currently participating in a clinical study at Mayo Clinic and I had a day full of tests so I took the day off work.  The huge perk was that all of the tests were done in one place and I got to hang out and relax all day in the same bed while watching movies and dozing on and off:)  They even fed me lunch after everything was done (I was fasting for the tests).  Call me crazy, but being a patient (thankfully a healthy patient) was pretty relaxing.  Even the pokes weren't bad:)
  • Since I was incapacitated for the day, Brent took the day off to be parent on duty for the regular stuff (like getting Luke to school, etc) and to just hang out with Nora for the day.  Nora loved having his undivided attention for the day!
  • Monday evening, Nora and I went to a PAIIR Movie Night to see Curious George 3 in the Hoover Elementary School gym.  She and I have been to two movie nights with PAIIR and it's always a good time:)

Wednesday, December 9

I surprised Brent and Luke with tickets to the Timberwolves vs Lakers game.  Brent has been a big fan of Kobe Bryant since he was drafted into the NBA from high school in 1996.  Brent's seen him play once before, but I wanted him and Luke to experience a game together during Kobe's last season in the NBA (he's retiring).  They had a fun night out, but the Lakers aren't great this year, so they lost in overtime.


Thursday,  December 10

A typical Thursday night with Brent's city league basketball game.  I've always loved watching him play and it's fun to watch him as a family.  After basketball it was my turn to head out to bunco!  I'm in a league that plays once a month.  It's always a fun night out with good treats, catching up with friends, and rolling dice:)

Friday,  December 11
  • Our super responsible boy had an orthodontic check after three months of living without braces and with a retainer.  I had the appointment on the calendar, but he was the one that remembered he needed to bring his retainer to the appointment.  I'm telling you, this boy is a gem!  Also, he had a great check up and wears his retainer regularly (again, his doing, we don't even remind him).
  • Nora and I had a Friday with nothing planned...that VERY rarely happens.  We had a voucher to see The Good Dinosaur, and Nora loved it!  I needed a potty break during the movie and she said "Hurry, we're missing my favorite movie!"  Something about dinosaurs have been very interesting to her recently:)
Saturday, December 12
  • A friend asked if I wanted to help with their holiday baking day so I joined in the fun:)  It was especially fun to see the recipes she had planned.  I especially loved the Vanilla Bean Angel Pillows and will need to make more!
  • Twas a Saturday, therefore Luke had two basketball games.  It's a busy time of year with basketball, but definitely fun too:)
  • Brent and I had an appointment at the Tile Superstore and More to check out flooring and countertop options.  If you've never been, this store is huge!  We were very grateful for Wanda's help in narrowing down our choices, answering many questions, and guiding us through the process.  We landed on a laminate wood floor (main living space), granite counter top (kitchen), and tile (mudroom/laundry and bathrooms).  We're still waiting on the bid to make final decisions, but we really liked what we picked.  Brent and I have both enjoyed working together on picking finishes for the new house, but I think getting this behind us was the biggest relief for me.  I feel like now that we have these large decisions, it will help guide other decisions (like coordinating colors, etc).  Again, we're so very grateful for Wanda!
  • My parents, sister, and neice decided to head to Sibley Park in Mankato to check out the Kiwanis Holiday Lights Saturday evening and they invited Nora along.  It looked like a very fun outing from the pictures Bridget took and it was a warm night for exploring the park.  Nora loved it!
  • Brent and Luke spent the evening watching MMA fights at Troy's house.
Kiwanis Holiday Lights


Sunday,  December 13
  • After a morning at church, I met my friend, Laura, for an afternoon out.  We started with lunch at Nupa, one of my local favs, then took in a show at the Rochester Civic Theatre.  We saw It's A Wonderful Life and it was great!  Such a lovely story at Christmas time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment