Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Healthy Treat!

One of my goals of meal planning was to create a book of recipes that were approved by our family so I would remember to return to those recipes. I had always remembered that I loved this Orange-Cranberry Scone recipe from my Betty Crocker Eat & Lose Weight cookbook (a hand me down from a woman I used to nanny for). So, this month, I planned a few breakfast treats into my meal plan so that I would have easy breakfast items to grab on the way out the door (friends, you know I'm not a morning person:)). I made the Orange-Cranberry Scones again tonight, two batches I might add, and they were delicious as I remembered!!!


Check out these tasty treats...

I only make 8 scones per batch...but I just had to try one before taking pictures:)



I don't typically share recipes on here, but I love this one so much I think you might enjoy it too.


Ingredients

2 cups Basic 4 cereal or other whole wheat flake cereal with cranberries, slightly crushed (I used Post Great Grains Cranberry Almond Crunch)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup firm margarine or butter

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/4 cup fat free cholesterol free egg product or 1 egg, slightly beaten

1/4 cup orange low fat yogurt

Orange Glaze Ingredients

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel

2-3 teaspoons orange juice

Heat oven to 400. Slightly crush cereal; set aside.

Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, orange peel, and salt in medium bowl. Cut in margarine, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in cereal, cranberries, egg product, and yogurt until dough forms.

Place dough on lightly floured surface. Gently roll in flour to coat; shape into ball. Pat dough into 8 inch circle with floured hands. Cut circle into 12 wedges with sharp knife dipped in flour. Place wedges about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Meanwhile, mix all Orange Glaze ingredients until thin enough to drizzle. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool 5 minutes; drizzle with Orange Glaze. After glaze is set, store tightly covered.

Calories 170, Fat 5g, Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 220mg, Fiber 3g, Protein 3g

The recipe is quite quick, but it is a little messy to make. At least when I make it...

I had extra fun making the scones tonight because I got to try out my new heavy-duty pastry blender and wooden spatulas that I got at the kitchen store at Medford Outlet this weekend:)

Here's to scones for breakfast for the rest of the week!

1 comment:

  1. Looks amazingly yummy. I love scones . Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete