Monday, July 4, 2011

Luke's Imagination

I am just so grateful for Luke's imagination on days like today. It is a gorgeous Fourth of July; our final day of eleven days of vacation together.  It has been such a blessing to share these days together both with fun outings and relaxing at home together. 

Luke has been quite a trooper through long car rides, days of running errands and working on minor house projects, and enjoying simple time at home.  Like today, we filled up his pool in the backyard and he's been playing quite a while in the hose-cold water with his sand and tub toys.  He is constantly playing imagination games with his toys, the slide, and the water. 

I am especially grateful for his imagination while he is still an only child.  We so hope to bring another child into our family, to give Luke the opportunity to become a big brother and to enjoy life with a sibling(s).  I love to hear Luke's narration of his imaginary games and to see his creativity, but I also wish he had someone to share it with.  Someone closer to his age than us.  He is still in the age range when it is fun to play with mom and dad, but I see him when he's with other kids and I know that his joy is multiplied when he can play imaginary games with friends and cousins.  One of his recent favorites has been playing "brothers" with Ethan.  Luke explained that they do homework together and wrestle and they both love it:)  So precious. 

Don't get me wrong, I know that bringing other siblings into the picture brings challenges like finding fun ideas for different aged children, working around sleep schedules for younger ones, and spats between sibling.  But, I have no doubt that the joy of having more than one outweighs the struggles that arise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment