Sunday, April 14, 2013

Remembering High School

Recently I heard a discussion on a radio morning show with people calling in to share "What you miss most about high school".  It got me thinking.  Then I had a dream the other night about going to a high school dance, so then I really got thinking:) 


I attended Mayo High School from 1996-2000.  It was a good experience, but I don't reminisce about it much.  (Kind of funny since I married my high school boyfriend and still live in the same city;))   Without further adieu, my favorites from high school can be simplified to four big hitters: basketball, dances, track, friends.

Basketball

I dated Brent most of high school and he played basketball all of high school.  Some of my favorite high school memories are surrounding basketball:  going to games, cheering loudly, traveling to away games, and doing it all with friends.  I still get to watch Brent play basketball regularly, but it's just not the same environment as being at a high school basketball game and being completely emotionally engaged and charged by the game.  Brent was also very close with the guys on his basketball teams through the years so we spent a lot of time together outside of the gym too. 

Dances

Oh dances, how I loved thee!  I had the privilege of going to ten formal dances while at Mayo.  Each fall we had a homecoming dance, each February a sweetheart dance, and, in junior and senior year, Prom in May.  I liked the dressing up, getting my hair done, pictures, and all that prep, but I mostly loved the dancing!  I had a blast with my friends at dances.  Which reminds me, we also had non-formal dances, usually called mixers, that were a ton of fun too:) 

Track

I was on the Mayo track team all four years of high school.  Track was the one sport that I was committed to and loved everything about.  I loved the workouts, being pushed, training with my relay teams, traveling for meets, and, again, being with friends on the team.  Track is not much of a spectator's sport, especially at the high school level, so we (the team) really supported one another at the meets and through the season.  Another fond memory I have of track is that I got to run with my sister for a couple years.  If I remember right, I think she started in 8th grade, so she and I ran together for two years.  We were also very blessed to have parents who loved track because we loved track, so they were always in the stands supporting us.  SO many good memories:)

Friends

I'd imagine that friends are a highlight for most people when they think of high school, but I know I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time.  As life moves on through college, jobs, marriage, kids, etc, relationships with friends change A LOT.  Life gets in the way.  But, in high school, life was centered around friends and it was easy.  By easy I mean, we saw each other every day at school, got to do tons of things together that we loved (like sports, watching sports, dances, part time jobs, etc), and had very few responsibilities.  I feel especially blessed to have known some of my friends since elementary school so I knew their families, was welcome in their homes, and shared many years of memories. 

Lots of good times shared and hopefully this sparked some good memories for my fellow Mayo grads:)

(I meant to add some high school pics to this post, but I know it will take me forever to dig them out and scan them.  So check out an old post that includes pics of at least Brent and I from high school to get at least a taste:))

No comments:

Post a Comment