Saturday, December 14, 2013

On This Day...

On this day...

I remember the horrific day in Newtown, CT when so many young lives were lost at Sandy Hook School.

I remember all of the nights this past year that I have made a second stop in Luke's room before I head to bed while thinking about the families in Newtown who didn't get the opportunity to tuck their babies into bed.  

I honor the life of our friends' baby girl who only graced this world with her presence for eight months and was called home today.

I am reminded that all of the firsts I've shared with Nora, our friends will never experience with their daughter.

I do not claim to understand why our second grader is still alive and safe while twenty others from Newtown are not.  Nor do I understand why our baby was born strong and healthy while our friends' daughter was born with a disability.

This is the stuff of life that simply cannot be explained.  I am grateful though that there is comfort in our hope and in community.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.  
~Matthew 5:4

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
~Ecclesiastes 3

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.  
~Romans 12:15

On this day, I mourn with those who mourn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment