Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Autumn Wonderland

All of my life, I've said that fall is my favorite season.  I do still love it, but the past few winters have been rough and so I'm haunted knowing that the beauty of fall leads to the potential for another long, difficult winter.

We really had a beautiful September and I'm expecting even more good fall-fun to come in October.  Can you tell I'm trying to keep a positive attitude?

A few of my fall favorites, every year and some specific to this year:

Brisk mornings and nights and sun-warmed days

The anticipation of Thanksgiving and baking and cooking in a warm house while it's cool outside

Finding adorable Halloween costumes for the kids

Starting to think about Christmas shopping

Burning candles (vanilla, apple, and hazelnut are my fall favs)

Pumpkins, apples, mums, orchards, corn mazes, etc, etc and my childrens' love for them too

 Colors, especially contrasting colors
Dark brown trunk with bright
yellow/orange leaves
The individual timing of the trees turning
All maples, but turning at their own pace
This picture absolutely does not do the
beauty of this street justice.
It was like it had snowed small yellow leaves.
The sidewalks were covered.  It was beautiful!
I also decided it was strange that there are not any songs about the beauty of fall.  I mean, how many songs are there about snow???  (I realize they are mostly tied to Christmas too, but still.)  So, I decided to write a few verses of my own fall parody to Winter Wonderland.  (Original lyrics so you can get the tune in your head.)

Autumn Wonderland

Under foot
leaves are crunching
On Honeycrisp
I am munching
A beautiful sight
We're happy tonight
Walking in an autumn wonderland

All around
Leaves are turning
While pumpkin candles 
Are a burning
We sing a love song
As we go along
Walking in an autumn wonderland

At the orchard apples are a plenty
We bring them home to bake them in a pie
I'll say: Are you hungry
Kids say: Yes ma'am
And we'll clean up
Before we say goodbye

I hope this post finds you enjoying the beauty of fall and not dreading the end of summer or the coming of winter. 

1 comment:

  1. It's a win/win for me.... I love autumn, and as you know, I love winter. Love the lyrics to your song, very clever!

    ReplyDelete