Saturday, October 4, 2014

Today, We Remember

Today, I walked with my family to remember and honor my Aunt Nancy who lost her battle with diabetes in 2004.

She was the youngest of the six Beckmann kids and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in her late teens.  She had a strong spirit, was very thoughtful and generous, and was an wonderful cook.

I vaguely remember as a kid when she lived with us for a short time and I remember many visits to Red Wing, Hager City, and Ellsworth to visit her.  I especially cherished the year I was at University Wisconsin River Falls when we were just a town apart.  We didn't see each other often, but I specifically remember one very nice lunch together and it was always comforting knowing she was nearby.  She and I also got to do some wedding planning that year since Brent and I were engaged and her son, Wylie, was a ring bearer in our wedding.

I also enjoyed our shared love of country music.  She brought me to my first country music concert, to see George Strait no less!  It was an all day music festival inside the Metrodome.  What a great memory:)

Some of my fondest memories were the Fourth of July/Cody's birthday gatherings at Scott and Nancy's house.  We stayed up late, watched lots of fireworks set off, played outside, rode four wheelers, and ate lots of yummy food.  Best of all, I learned to make frozen s'mores from my Aunt Nancy.  Still one of my favorite treats:)

Unfortunately her life was cut far too short, in her late thirties, after a twenty year battle with diabetes.

Today, we walked to help those still fighting.


Our team walked 4.5 miles today and raised over $300 for the fight against diabetes.

Nancy's Hope Team
Bridget, Piper, Me, Nora, and Mom
Post-walk brunch at my Aunt's

1 comment:

  1. Such a great way to honor your aunt, and also help those who are still battling this disease. :)

    ReplyDelete