Saturday, November 28, 2015

High Five for Friday

#1: Thanksgiving


We were blessed with the opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with my cousin, Jamie, and her husband, Matt, who traveled from California for the long weekend.  We only get to see each other every year or two so it's always special to see them.

I also got to congratulate my grandparents on their 6th wedding anniversary last week:)

All in all, Thanksgiving is just a lovely day in my mind.  Love the time with family, good food, and time to intentionally reflect on the many blessings in our lives.

More pics on Facebook.
My loves

Awww!


#2: A Life Intercepted


I finished reading A Life Intercepted, by Charles Martin.  He's one of my favorite authors.   This wasn't one of my favorite books of his, but still a good read.  The author's note at the end of the book warmed my heart though.  Charles wrote the book as a way to share with his high school aged son that football is not what defines you as a person or your value.  I am not big on football, but I appreciate this perspective as a parent and spouse of a player.

Here are some quotes that I appreciated from the book.  All were referring to football, but I think they have very good implications for life in general.

Quotes:

If you want to succeed out there, you've got to risk failure. ... A lot of players equate losing with failure. ... But losing and failing are not the same thing.  Play this game long enough, and you will lose. ... Every time you step on to any field, you have a fifty-fifty shot at losing or winning.  So get over the numbers, they are not the measure of your value. ... Don't buy into the lie that says you don't count if you don't win.


I couldn't change my circumstances, but I had a lot to say about who I was in the midst of them.  And who I became.


The only thing you have control over is how hard you work, so if it's in your heart to be good at this, don't let anyone out work you.  And when somebody beats you -- because they will -- well...good for them.  Tell them. ...  Your performance on Friday night is not the measure of you value as a man come Saturday through Thursday.


Forgiveness offered -- especially when so undeserved -- cuts chains off the human heart that no other power in the universe anywhere can rattle much less break.  Love does what hatred could not and never will.


The wonder and majesty that is football is not what you accomplish in solitary feats of greatness,  but who you get to play it with.  The heart of football is found in the huddle -- not the highlight reel.

#3: Five Day Weekend


I really like my job, but I also like a break from the routine.  This week I had off Wednesday through Sunday for the holiday.  It's been lovely staying up late, waking without an alarm, freedom in schedule to do what we like when we like.  Brent even took a four day weekend to join us:)

#4:  The House


As of today, we have a shingled roof!  According to Brent, next the steps are completing the electrical and plumbing in the basement, then pouring the concrete in the basement, then windows.  I'm excited for windows:)  I like to see the obvious progress;)

#5:  Ladies' Morning


Last weekend, my aunt and cousin came to do some shopping at the Mayo Clinic Employee Craft Show and have lunch with my mom, sister and I.  It's always so nice to have excuses to get together:)

No comments:

Post a Comment