Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Running & Remembering

Last Friday, Brent ran in the Stay Out of the Sun Run 10K, the seventh annual event in Rochester to raise funds for Melanoma research and to raise awareness for the need to protect our skin while in the sun. This was our first experience being involved with the run/walk in any capacity, but I see an annual family event on the horizon for us.  If you know me well, you know that I am quite adamant about a couple things, wearing sunscreen is one of them.   (Recycling is the other, but that's for another post:))  Wearing sunscreen has been important to me since I was in elementary school and my uncle David was diagnosed with Melanoma, the most dangerous type of skin cancer.  After watching him struggle through treatments, appointments/tests, and finally succumbing to Melanoma and seeing the incredible pain it caused his entire family, I cannot ignore the warning signs and any attempts to prevent Melanoma from striking again. 

David has been gone now for 18 years, but his memory is still very much a part of my past and present.  In an effort to make any difference I can, I am looking forward to many years ahead of supporting and participating in the Stay Out of the Sun Run.

My guys before the run

No comments:

Post a Comment