Friday, August 23, 2013

High Five for Friday

Some fun moments from this week...
Being silly playing puppy tug-o-war in the tub with a toy

She was so proud to be sitting on Daddy's
lap and pushing the buttons on the keyboard.
She's look up at me with a big grin:)

#1

Four Daughters Winery
We had a lovely double date with friends Friday night at Four Daughters Vineyard and Winery in Spring Valley, MN (just 20 minutes south of Rochester).  It was all of our first times visiting the winery and we had a wonderful meal and time chatting.  We shared a baked brie appetizer, tasted wines, enjoyed dinner, and splurged on desserts:)  Remarkably, I even found a wine I liked...I've never liked wine.  It was a great night with good friends:)

#2

Gold Rush!!!
Three years ago, I went to Gold Rush with my parents for the first time.  I thought, "I'll give it a shot, there may be fun things to see" but I really wasn't too enthused with the idea of "antiquing" (aka: digging through old stuff) with my parents (they love antiquing:)).  Little did I know that my first visit would make me an annual attendee!  This year was the first year I spent an entire day shopping at Gold Rush and the weather was perfect: 70s and sunny!  My Aunt Ruth and cousin Steph met me for some shopping and lunch.  It was a wonderful day!  My only complaint is something I can only blame on myself...I found a couple end tables that I liked but didn't purchase them right away...when I went back a couple hours later they had been purchased:(  But, I did get a couple fun items:  a  metal flower for the front door, a couple metal hooks to hold hand towels, and an old door header that I plan to add hooks to for a towel rack in the bathroom.  (I have plans to paint the bathroom and change up a few things...I'll be sure to post pics:))  Oh, and if you think you want to check out Gold Rush next year, it's always the third weekend of August...mark your calendars!  I plan to be there:)

Fun metal flower for the front door:)

#3

Crabapple Harvest
I already posted on our crabapple harvest, but I also wanted to update that I did try a pie/crisp recipe.  It was a little tedious coring 6 cups worth of crabapples, but the pie turned out good and tart and went well with ice cream:)  I used a frozen pie crust, this pie filling recipe, and the topping recipe from this crisp recipe. I plan to try this crabapple bread recipe next...I still have a lot of crabapples left:)  

#4

Time as a Family
We have been thoroughly enjoying the beautiful summer and trying to get in all of our "summer bucket list" items that we haven't yet done.  Tuesday night we went to an outdoor movie (bucket list item) at the farm of a family from our church.  It was a beautiful evening for Luke and I to enjoy Tangled under the stars and blue moon with friends:)  Wednesday morning the kids and I made a trip to the public library for some play time and for Luke to turn in his summer reading form (bucket list item).  Then, on Thursday night, we all went to our final Thursdays on First for the season (bucket list item) and enjoyed dinner and browsing the fun vendors.  I am so grateful for our time together before Luke heads back to school and schedules erupt with school year activities.
Exploring and reading at the library

This boy loves to sort things:)
A boy after my own heart;)

Checking out all of the fun toys at her height

Love these two!

#5

I know my dad is not surfing the web during his retirement to see this update, but he is busy playing babysitter and chauffeur and it is not going unnoticed:)  Yesterday we had a big rain storm in Rochester around the time that most people were heading to work for the day.  I was extra grateful for Dad so I didn't have to wade my way to work (literally, there was water backed up in many streets and yards) on my seven block walk from the car.  He was also able to help my sister with a ride to work when she had a later shift and couldn't find parking a space in any employee lots.  But, this is only the tip of the iceberg.  Dad drives mom to work daily and willingly gives his time 4 days a week/5 hours a day to watch our kids while I work.  If you know my dad, you know he'd do anything for my mom, my sister, and I, but he has certainly expanded that giving nature as our family has grown to include son-in-laws and grandkids:)  

Dad's valet lot in front of the house
(mine and Bridget's cars:))

No comments:

Post a Comment