Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Little Miracles 5K

Last Saturday I ran in the second annual Little Miracles 5K at Silver Lake.  This was the first year I ran in the event, but I think this will go on my list of runs for the future.  I sign up for charity runs to keep myself motivated throughout the summer, but I also like to support causes that are important to me and our family. Little Miracles is certainly near and dear to us.  The organization, Our Miracle Babies, is a local group started by "mothers who have coped with pregnancy complications, premature infants, infants with medical conditions, pregnancy loss, and infant loss."  As many of you know, we experienced three pregnancy losses between Luke and Nora.  Saturday was a beautiful event to remember what an incredible blessing Luke and Nora are to our lives and how fortunate we are to have them both.  Part of the event on Saturday was a balloon release for babies who have been lost.  It was so beautiful and symbolic to see the balloons floating away and glowing with the sunlight.  Another symbolic part of the day was the route for the 5K.  We started on the west side of Silver Lake, ran clockwise around the lake, then followed the bike path on the east side of Silver Lake/Zumbro River to the Oakwood Cemetery entrance and back to the west side of the lake where we started.  The symbolic piece was turning around at Oakwood Cemetery.  Just as you enter Oakwood Cemetery on the right is the Isle of Innocence, an area dedicated to babies and young children who have passed.  We have attended a couple services in the Isle of Innocence that Mayo's OB department holds twice a year for those who have experienced pregnancy or infant loss.

Little Miracles 5K Route
All in all, Saturday was a beautiful day to remember and to run.  I even had my best time for the summer (I don't remember any times from past summers, so who knows about personal best:)): 28:10!  I finished 33rd out of 124 women and 78th out of 197 for all runners.

Me and my miracles

No comments:

Post a Comment